Friday, May 01, 2009

Day 2: High Places

Today is the day that is usually spent getting acclimated to the time change and getting familiar with the culture. So, to off set jet lag and to experience the culture, we went for a hike. We went to a local mountain park called Bei PuTuo. It is a beautiful location that seems to have grown around a Buddhist monastery and several shrines. I shot some cool video. While we were there, we hiked up to some of the shrines, which are built on the peaks of mountains. The belief is that these places are closer to the heavens, so you are closer to the spiritual world. In the old part of The Book, Father tells His children to go into the land that He has promised them. But He tells them to "tear down the high places" as they go. At first, it's just something you read. But once you get here, you see the high places and see people using these high places to try to appease the spirits of their ancestors. They offer fruit, incense, and even burn money at times trying to ensure that their dead ancestors are happy. I'll post some video of the high places when I get home. But it sure puts The Book into a different light to stand in those very places we are called to tear down. And I had a thought while I was standing there. "What if I did tear it down? What would happen?" I realized that if I physically destroyed this spot, the locals who use it would only rebuild it, and probably rally around the incursion upon their faith. So, instead, I spent time talking to Father about it, and spiritually tearing it down, so to speak. My heart was moved today by the amount of effort and futility that is spent in the pursuit of gods who are sub-par and cannot help you. So, will you join me in talking to Dad about helping wandering brothers and sisters to find Him and His light? I don't doubt for a minute that the enemy answers the prayers of these seekers in ways that keeps them mired in their false beliefs. Our calling is to tear down the high places, and I think that begins with speaking to Dad about them and the people drawn to them. But it also begs the question, "what are your high places?" What are the things you rely on to get a better life? Before we can tear down the high places in the lives of others, we must first tear down the high places in our own lives. Do you rely on your charm, wit, personality, money, influence, appearance, etc. to build a better life for you? To those that now follow The Way, The Truth, and The Life, our only source of strength and help should be Him. In relying on other things, we are building high places in our lives! Tear them down.

One of the cool things about today was that instead of hiking down, we discovered a zip line that went across the valley and to the parking lot where we parked. SO, I decided I would do the zip line. It was a blast! I was smoking across the top of this valley attached to two cables! But the even more surprising thing is that LINDSEY said she wanted to do it too! AND SHE DID! It was amazing. I'll post that video at some point, too!

From there, we had 2 amazing meals, some near death experiences in the taxis and bus, and a pretty usual day in this country of over 1 billion people. It's just a little bit past 10 p.m. here, and I have to be p-walking at our park around 6 a.m. so I'll end the update here with a request: talk to Dad about the many people we will get to visit with over the next 24 hours. College students all the way up to senior adults, we have many chances to show them all about the family business. So be sure to yarP for us!

No comments: