Saturday, July 30, 2005

Seasons

I know that I've mentioned plowing before, but felt like expanding on it just a little, so please indulge my whimsy! Last summer in Perfume, Germany, our missionary there, "Jamie (pronounced Hi-me) Sanchez," taught us about seasons. We talked at length about how a farmer plows his field until the soil is ready, and that might take days, or even weeks. He compared plowing to praying, and how, through prayer, we are preparing the soil for planting (sharing the Good News), reaping (bringing someone to Christ), and vintaging (discipling). Every day, we would go to our ministry site and plow the ground by prayer walking (praying on-sight with in-sight!) for about an hour. God amazed us by showing us thigs to pray for that we never would have seen had we not been plowing. By the end of the week, some of the really hard "soil" had been prepared for planting because God honored our plowing. It was such a simple thing, yet so overlooked. The teaching resounds in my mind, and yet I still have a hard time spending the right amount of time plowing. I tend to be a planter, reaper, and vintager. That means sharing, bringing to Christ, and discipling. I need to do more plowing. The soil of people's lives will be made ripe when the hard pieces are broken, and the small pockets are churned. The seeds of planting will take root when the soil has been turned and longs to find the seeds of the Gospel message. Starting today, I'm going to be an avid plower. Without it, none of the other is possible!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I got back from Koln yesterday and the time there was super, probably because it was with Super Summer people. I learned quite a bit which is funny since I was in Germany last year doing the exact same thing. This past year I was messing with the idea of being a journey girl in Germany for two years but over the week I realized that while that is a great idea, I'm pretty sure that's not what God wants me to do. I think I'll be staying here in the states.
I got some words of encouragement from the amazing Jeff. I was telling him about my frustrations of the semester churches all dying off and he said that's ok if they die off. Think of the churches as a seed. Every seed has to die before it can grow to be a tree. So with that said, hopefully the churches will die off and new churches will spring up from the people that were a part of that church.
Some ideas for Bible study time for a semester church: Since the church is made up of non Christians and people who don't know much about the Bible just read one chapter or one section from a book of the New Testament. Only use that part of the scripture. You can't reference what was read with other verses in the Bible. If someone decides to spit out all of these verses its not going to go well with the people who don't know as much. I would say that only the leader/faciltator has the right to use other Scriptures if needed. Have the people there try to answer at least one of these questions: 1. What does the passage tell us about human nature? 2. What does the passage tell us about human need? 3. What does the passage tell us about God? If someone says something that's out there the leader needs to step up and say something.
I made a new friend while in Germany, Hayden Flowers. He's working on getting some sort of church thing going where he's at. He'll be having some leader meetings in the fall. I'll let you know about them whenever I get the info.
A new year is about to start for the students. Please pray for me that I will be able to meet new people quickly. I will be trying to get involved with some activites at the community college here so that I can start a semester church within that community.