Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Fame of Christ and a Spiritual Movement

Atlanta Bread Company...man, sometimes I miss the Metroplex. However, it took me 20 mintues to travel 3 miles down Cooper to get here! Sometimes I don't miss the metroplex at all. Isn't life really like that in many areas? There is good and bad with everything. Almost the idea of the yin and the yang... Dallas/Ft. Worth has great entertainment and eateries, but traffic and cold people are the exchange. As I sit here sipping my Strawberry-banana smoothie (yes, I know, that sounds healthy. But I've been at a conference all week where we sit, listen, eat, sit listen, eat, and I'm bloated like road kill right now! I won't need to eat for another couple days!) I realize that at first glance life seems to be like that, with more bad than good most of the time. But, when I dig into it, that's really a lie. First and foremost because there is no evil in Christ. He is all good. Second, there is no balance between the two. Good is the ultimate victor as promised by Scripture. Third, much of what seems bad is a matter of my perspective. I'm not debating that there is evil in the world, nor am I saying that you can view evil as good if you just look hard enough. But I am saying that James says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds..." Is it good or bad to be spit upon? Is it good or bad to be cussed for believing The Word. Is it good or bad to be ridiculed for the cause of Christ? It's good. Not because we should seek to walk into situations where we provoke people to spit upon us, but as we pursue Christ, as we walk the path into the mystic, it will require sacrifice and struggle. We are called to make Him famous. Too often I see the cost of that and decide that it is too much for me. I think I can't do it, or that there are smoother roads to walk. Was there a smoother road for Christ to walk that would accomplish the redemption of humanity? What is my road compared to His? A fellow pilgrim reminds me that Christ's yoke for me is easy, and His burden is light. The author of Hebrews pens, "Endure hardships as discipline." it's not pleasant, nor is it easy, but it is the way to shape and mold me. It is the way to a true spiritual movement. The road into the mystic is the pilgrimage to Christ-likeness. For me to see this, grasp it, cherish it, makes what looks bad become good. Rough roads in life can beat us up, or raise us up. I choose to be raised up, to make Christ famous, and lead the way for those who follow. One of my inspirations, Job, penned, "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face. Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance, for no godless man would dare come before him!" Surely this will turn out for my deliverence...

No comments: